[dns-operations] CloudShield advices against dDoS

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.com
Thu Feb 21 00:15:44 UTC 2013

> http://www.cloudshield.com/applications/dns-control-traffic-load.asp

Besides questions others have raised, I wonder how filtering requests
that would produce NODATA and so forcing clients to retry and so
tripling that traffic reduces total DNS traffic.  A single DNSSEC
signed NODATA can be somewhat larger than the two request retries, but
I've generally hit packets/second limits in hosts, routers, and firewalls
before bits/second limits.

I also wonder how sending "300 A 127.0.0.1" instead of NXDOMAIN and
so replacing negative cache entries that probably have much larger
TTLs "will drastically reduce traffic in case of an attack".

How do those A records replace NXDOMAIN responses?  Would he put
wildcards in the DNS server or have one of his employer's boxes respond
to requests before they reach the DNS server?  Given the talk of
filtering requests upstream from DNS servers, I assume he envisions
the latter tactic.

If so, I wonder how he expects that to play with DNSSEC.  Maybe he
sees problems in general from DNSSEC for smart boxes upstream of DNS
servers and that why he has the negative view of DNSSEC expressed in
http://www.cloudshield.com/applications/dns-truth-about-dnssec.asp
On the other hand, this statement in that document might suggest
confusion about DNSSEC:

    Even if DNSSEC were deployed broadly, it still would not ensure
    that DNS for a domain could not be misdirected. This is because
    DNSSEC does nothing to ensure that the listed authoritative name
    server for a domain name is one that is legitimately controlled
    by the owner of the domain name.

Or maybe the definition of "legitimately controlled" is unrelated to
delegations from parent domains.

Or maybe he is thinking of regimes in which the bad guys control
the root trust anchors on all computers.

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com