[dns-operations] Implementation of negative trust anchors?

Carlos M. Martinez carlosm3011 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 16:06:20 UTC 2013

Hello,

On Aug 27, 2013, at 12:56 PM, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman at vpnc.org> wrote:

> ...but not all of them.
No feature / idea will ever catch all of them.

This should not let us from implementing some of the good ideas that are going around. In fact, when I read 'an authoritative nameserver SHOULD NOT publish an invalid zone _ever_', well, I was struck by how obvious this is, and a bit ashamed at how I had never thought about it. This is something that should have always been in place.

Same for [A|I]XFR. Slaves MUST refuse transferring invalid zones ! In that way they might keep an outdated but still validly signed zone.

And, if there is a corner case where this should be allowed, well, that's what configuration options are for.

We must build resiliency layer by layer.

cheers!

~Carlos