[dns-operations] Odd resolver/cache behavor or normal operation?

Mohamed Lrhazi ml623 at georgetown.edu
Mon Aug 26 15:37:54 UTC 2013

Thanks Joe.

I was kind of hoping someone would have had similar experience with this
very record, imap.gmail.com.

Our caching resolver uses yet another caching resolver.... which did return
the odd response, according to our query log, The logs from our upper
stream resolver show that at the time to the odd response, it was handling
too many recursive queries:

Aug 24 05:13:40 [daemon.warning] named: client 141.161.200.25#63990: view
3: no more recursive clients (1000/0/1000): quota reached

It did answer  imap.gmail.com with zero number of records in the answer
section, but always with status of SRVERROR, but once, and only once, it
answered with zero records and with NOERROR status. It seems our caching
server somehow liked this latter answer so much it hang on to it for the
rest of the day!

Not quite sure what to make of all this, searching 30 days worth of query
logs, it seems this record has always been answered with a count of 3, for
answers.... only during this outage was that 0.

Thanks,
Mohamed.