[dns-operations] Geoff Huston on DNS-over-TCP-only study.

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Thu Aug 22 00:32:08 UTC 2013

Geoff,

I personally think this is really interesting work. A question about methodology:

On Aug 21, 2013, at 4:36 PM, Geoff Huston <gih at apnic.net> wrote:
> - Our experiment used a modified DNS server that truncated all UDP at 512 bytes, and over 10 days we enlisted some 2 million end clients to perform a set of tests by using online ads. The ad used a very wide geographic and network variety, so there is good grounds to see this set as a reasonable representative sample of the internet's end user population.

If I recall correctly, you're using a Flash thingie to do this.  Is that right?

If so, have you looked at how platforms that don't do Flash (notably, Apple IOS-based devices by default) behave (at least in a lab)?  I know those devices had an ... interesting impact on the IANA servers providing the root trust anchor...

Thanks,
-drc