[dns-operations] problems resolving army.mil and us.army.mil?

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 17:04:11 UTC 2013

a question(s) from the peanut gallery...
(I assumed some things...)

if the operations work to maintain dnssec stuff for zones is not
productionized and automated and tested failures like this army.mil
(and most previous other zone problems elsewhere related to dnssec,
most likely) issue happen...

what process gets us all to better, more stable, more reliable dnssec
deployment on a per-zone basis?

is the problem that army.mil can be broken for X hours/days with
respect to dnssec because 'no one notices' and thus the failure has
low/zero cost to the domain owner? Is the process/ops-work so hard
that it can't be automated/productionized?

If the 'no one notices' answer is 'yes', how do more people get to the
place where they notice? by enabling validation in resolvers? could US
Gov't agencies all enable this 'now' and help to find these problems
more quickly? could OMB be brought to bear on this sort of thing in a
reasoned way?

-chris