[dns-operations] Geoff Huston on DNS-over-TCP-only study.

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.com
Wed Aug 21 16:53:59 UTC 2013

> From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com>

> > HTTP, SMTP, ando other TCP transaction applications?  Could the gTLD
> > roots exist in anything like their current forms if DNS transactions
> > cost as many CPU and stable storage computrons as an HTTP GET of
> > a purely static page (even without TLS)?
>
> Excellent questions!  Imagine if we measured stuff and found out!

Measurements are great, except when prefaced with polemics for simplistic
and wrong solutions, whether "TCP fixes DNS," "just block ANY", or
"authentication is the final ultimate solution to the spam problem,"
especially when the measurements seem to contradict the preface.

As I said before, it's not clear to me that the slant of the first
part was intentional.  Maybe it was quick and dirty context for an
informal blog posting that could have used reading for unintended
advocacy as well as mundane copy editing, but didn't get enough of
either because it was an informal blog posting.

The bit about RRL hit a sore point, because of private discussions
about efforts to re-educate RRL into the "TCP fixes DNS" party.

It's important to point out the error of even unintentional advocacy
of simplistic and wrong solutions.  In the short run, mere facts
don't change minds, but do slow the spread of the poison and can
cure it in the long run.

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com