[dns-operations] DNS Issue

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Wed Apr 24 14:43:36 UTC 2013

On 2013/04/24, at 09:06, Samir Abidali wrote:

> I wonder if someone can guide me in the direction for troubleshooting my DNS issues.
> I work in the regional ISP, we have to DNS servers where it works fine for most of the Domain names but it cannot resolve some others, like dyn.com.

I wasn't able to reproduce this myself.. it all looks good from here.

> dig: couldn't get address for 'ns1.p01.dynect.net': failure

What happens if you run a 'dig +trace ns1.p01.dynect.net'?  Since that name server name isn't a subdomain of dyn.com I think dig is (correctly) ignoring the additional section in the response from h.gtld-servers.net, and has gone to your stub resolver to get the address for ns1.p01.dynect.net.  If that is failing for some reason it would explain the error you're seeing.