[dns-operations] open resolver versio.bind responses

L. Aaron Kaplan kaplan at cert.at
Wed Apr 17 15:15:42 UTC 2013

Jared,

I did a very similar tracking of number of open recursive DNS Servers for my "pet wireless ISP".
We reduced the # of ORNs from ~ 260 to 7 in half a year.
So, these things are possible!

http://ormon.funkfeuer.at/
http://ormon.funkfeuer.at/stats.png

I have a feature request for openresolverproject.org: please make such a graph as above and put it on the front page. This way, people (network operators etc) get some visual feedback on the global efforts. This visual feedback is very helpful when you ask people to clean up.

The source code for my scripts is here: https://github.com/aaronkaplan/open-recursor-check
(might want to copy & paste & adapt the scripts for generating the graphs)

---
// L. Aaron Kaplan <kaplan at cert.at> - T: +43 1 5056416 78
// CERT Austria - http://www.cert.at/
// Eine Initiative der nic.at GmbH - http://www.nic.at/
// Firmenbuchnummer 172568b, LG Salzburg