[dns-operations] open resolver versio.bind responses

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Apr 16 15:07:03 UTC 2013

On Apr 16, 2013, at 10:39 AM, Roy Arends <roy at dnss.ec> wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2013, at 1:21 PM, Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net> wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I took the latest 'Open Resolver' list and queried the hosts another time with a version.bind query.
>>
>> You can view the results here:
>>
>> http://openresolverproject.org/version.bind.report.txt
>
> Interesting list. I assume that some resolvers are actually happy to try and resolve version.bind chaos txt on your behalf, and so you might see the version.bind response from either the IANA roots or some alternative servers.

This could be the case.  I went ahead and tweaked the code I was using to send a fixed packet to all the IPs in the list.

Either way, this gives folks an idea of the challenges.  The 'skbroadband' devices all need to be patched it seems.

Check out the breakdown.html page for some minor details about the resolver behaviors.

- Jared