[dns-operations] Buzzwords Bingo or Radware on SDN DDoS protection

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Mon Apr 1 15:30:22 UTC 2013

On 2013-04-01, at 11:22, "Dobbins, Roland" <rdobbins at arbor.net> wrote:

> On Apr 1, 2013, at 10:18 PM, Rikimaru, Scott wrote:
>
>> Perhaps this is how Radware is getting to a diversion model with their products?
>
> OpenFlow is a dynamic, programmable control-plane for networking devices.  The initial focus has been on switches.

With OpenFlow, the distinction between switches and routers doesn't really exist.

> However, there isn't much in the way of OpenFlow running in production environments.

I hear they have different perspectives on this at Google.

> It's a relatively new, immature concept, and none of the major vendors are really committed to it, as they want to try and keep things proprietary.

... although the number of vendors and models of OpenFlow switch available off the shelf seems to continue to rise.

> I think OpenFlow is something which may benefit us (and potentially soi-disant competitors) in the future.  But it isn't something that's widely deployed, today.

What I've observed is that few people who offer commentary on OpenFlow have taken the time to play with it. The deployment concerns, I think, are really software engineering and release problems. You don't want to depend on a custom OpenFlow controller that is only understood by one person who just got hired by someone else.

Software engineering discipline is not as common on the network administration side of the house as it is on the systems/devops or developer side. Some cultural shift is needed.

Joe