[dns-operations] dotless domains

Phil Regnauld regnauld at nsrc.org
Mon Sep 24 04:33:29 UTC 2012

On 24/09/2012, at 06.07, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

> Why
> should I have to change my usage because some jolly come lately
> with $200000 can buy a TLD.

Somehow, having the safety and consistent of one's network/users depend on an external policy outside my control makes me very, very uncomfortable. I've always felt that employing non-FQDNs to reference systems is risky at best. I've seen Microsoft shops (and others) sweat bullets every time a new TLD was added because they were afraid it would break resolution internally.

I'd say (shoot me) current usage is broken through inconsistency (demonstrated here), if not obsolete.

I don't care if it's ICANN's business or not. If the spec allows it but the policy says you shouldn't, it's just too fragile.