[dns-operations] keeping ICANN busy with dotless domains

ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Sun Sep 23 12:48:53 UTC 2012

On 9/23/12 1:49 AM, "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" wrote:
> The discussion here has been enlightening, but if you want your thoughts
> to have any impact you should submit a public comment if you haven't done
> so already

Well, yes in theory, but having submitted comments for over a decade, the
effect of comments by industry actors -- lumps of interested registry or
registrar operators, associations of trademark holders, governments acting
in concert, ... appear to have greater measurable effect.

Paul slipped out of the "tech" ghetto to sollicit comments. Predictably there
are the "ICANN Mess" reactions, and the "be prudent" reactions I think he
sought, some of which have been replicated in the comments of record.

To have the most effect, in my experience, a statement of the form "don't
set your hair on fire", signed by a heap of people, most of whom are known
to be slightly sentient or better, is the prefered form.

This hasn't occured, instead notes of the first form, and notes of the form
"setting your hair on fire will force a cure for baldness", from some people,
known to be slightly sentient, inform the record.

For those needing to see where cures for baldness lead, I recommend reading:
http://forum.icann.org/lists/sac053-dotless-domains/msg00012.html

So independent of the issue, and the tediousness, there is the herding cats
problem. Unherded cats are unheard.

Eric