[dns-operations] keeping ICANN busy

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Sat Sep 22 20:53:30 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 06:32:01PM -0700,
 David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote
 a message of 27 lines which said:

> I understand and sympathize with this point of view, however, as a
> counter-example: wildcards in .COM were outside of the root zone,
> was that also none of ICANN's business?

In a way, .COM is special: it is by far the largest TLD and for many
people the reference TLD. One can probably argue that it has a form of
dominance on the market that calls for special rules.

But in the case of wildcards in .COM, there was another reason: they
did not exist at the beginning and people were used to a .COM without
wildcards. Adding them later broke this assumption and created a lot
of problems. On the other hand, wildcards in .MUSEUM were never a big
cause of uproar because .MUSEUM had wildcards from the beginning.