[dns-operations] dotless domains

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Fri Sep 21 22:46:42 UTC 2012

> 2. We are not limited by the status quo. While the _current_ state of
> things is that we cannot guarantee that single labels will work reliably
> in all cases, those who are putting very large sums of money into the
> process of acquiring and operating these domains (especially the .brand
> domains) will not hesitate to expend effort (and $$) to bring other
> developers up to speed. For example, in the browser it is a very simple
> matter to first append a dot to a single label and see if it resolves
> before trying the search domains.

But is that really, consistently the right thing to do?

I suppose that browsers are already more than a little bit pregnant with
their willingness to append TLDs to single labels, but suppose someone
happens to have a subnet with a bunch of machines named for  fruit -
apple, pear, grape, etc. Are they going to have to go-in and configure
their (possibly auto-updated) browsers to not append that dot so the
resolv.conf search directive with their subdomain will still let them
get to their apple.subdomain rather than go to apple.?

Or will they have to start typing apple.subdomain because they cannot
shower as much incentive on browser developers as a .brand holder?

It seems like the rules for automagic completion of incomplete names
typed into browsers are going to start to look like those for the game
of fizbin.

rick jones
speaking for myself alone