[dns-operations] DNS RRL light?

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.com
Mon Sep 17 16:06:31 UTC 2012

> From: Mohamed Lrhazi <ml623 at georgetown.edu>

> Also, one could say that by enabling RRL, we are adding a weaknesses
> to the system:
> - Attack using large number of unique queries and unique source IPs,
> aiming at exhausting our RAM...
>
> Is that a valid criticism? Does BIND RRL mitigate that? Should one add
> logic to disable the whole RRL after reaching some QPS threshold?

I think that code must handle error conditions that can be anticipated
and handled.  The BIND RRL patch tries to handle state table size
problems by:
  - having minimum size to reduce cold-start issues,
  - having maximum size to avoid crashing under very high load,
  - always reusing the least recently used state table entry even when
     the window for that entry has not expired.

I suspect discussions like this should be on the DNS Response Rate
Limits mailing list and not here.  If so, please see
http://lists.redbarn.org/mailman/listinfo/ratelimits

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com