[dns-operations] too many round robin RR's / tcp and lookup errors?

Dave Brockman dave at brockmans.com
Sun Sep 16 14:14:55 UTC 2012

On 9/16/2012 6:06 AM, Patrick, Robert (CONTR) wrote:
> DNS inspection at firewalls may be blocking the response, although
> this should be evident from all platforms, not just from mobile
> devices.
>
> You can run a test to determine if there is something in the path
> restricting DNS packet sizes.
> https://www.dns-oarc.net/oarc/services/replysizetest
>
> May not be of much help on a mobile device, but you could run this
> from your DNS servers looking outbound toward the Internet.
>
> dig +short rs.dns-oarc.net txt
>

> As an example, Cisco ASA firewalls prior to version 8.3 by default
> limit DNS packet size to 512 bytes.
>
> To change this limit, the configuration must be updated.
>
> More information is listed here about maximum DNS packet sizes and
> Cisco firewalls:
> http://www.cisco.com/web/about/security/intelligence/dnssec.html
>
> Example fix for Cisco ASA running version 7.x: conf t policy-map
> type inspect dns preset_dns_map parameters message-length maximum
> 4096 end wr mem

- From "behind" the ASA, the line you want in your policy-map parameters
is "message length maximum client auto", I believe.  My template
includes includes both, but from the document you linked:

!
policy-map type inspect dns preset_dns_map
    parameters
        message-length maximum client auto
        message-length maximum 512
!
policy-map global_policy
     class inspection_default
         inspect dns preset_dns_map
!
service-policy global_policy global
!

"The configuration shown in Figure 8 will apply inspection to any DNSSEC
packets according to the message-length maximum client auto
configuration command that, as previously stated, will set the length of
the DNSSEC message-length according to the size advertised in the EDNS
packet. All non-DNSSEC DNS packets will continue to honor the packet
size set by the message-length maximum <512> command, depending on the
size specified."

Regards,

dtb
- --