[dns-operations] go daddy refuses to register NS not otherwise associated with go daddy controlled domains

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Wed Sep 12 19:42:23 UTC 2012

On Sep 12, 2012, at 12:02 PM, Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 11:23:53AM -0700, Fred Morris wrote:
>> Also following from lemmas 1 and 2: The registries could obviate the
>> need for most of this charade by allowing CNAMEs above the zone cut. But
>> they don't.
>
> I would be fascinated to learn what "CNAMEs above the zone cut" are
> supposed to do -- not to mention how they're supposed to work.

If I'm interpreting this correctly (i.e., "CNAME at zone apex"), what they're supposed to do is allow folks to (e.g.) have example.com, example.org, etc. point to www.myhostingservice.biz.  My impression is that they're supposed to work by returning the CNAME if the answer isn't in the zone data.  That is, if you have:

$ORIGIN foo.com.
@ IN NS ns.nsservers.com.
  IN MX 1 my.email.com.
  IN CNAME mysite.hostingprovider.com.

then an MX query for foo.com would return "1 my.email.com", an NS query would return "ns.nsservers.com" and a query for anything else would return "CNAME mysite.hostingprovider.com".

Of course, I'm probably misinterpreting this.

Regards,
-drc