[dns-operations] go daddy refuses to register NS not otherwise associated with go daddy controlled domains

Fred Morris m3047 at m3047.net
Wed Sep 12 06:56:30 UTC 2012

> EPP

I won't even bother with the disclaimer that I don't represent my employer
because a) this is a personal account and b) I know our CTO knows a lot
about this and doesn't agree with me... in fact I'll go so far as to say
that if there's nothing to talk about and you want to kill time, argue
with him about this.

But it's silly. And in practice, it leads to all sorts of pathological
aberrations. It leads to example-bank.com... or any other large,
well-funded organization which is defensively registering domains...
pointing those domains to nameservers which:

* answer REFUSED
* answer SERVFAIL
* are CNAMEd (for extra credit, the nameservers which are CNAMEd to answer
REFUSED or SERVFAIL)
* answer with CNAMEd domains... regardless of what the delegator
advertises.

And on. And on.

1) So if the registrars don't care about what the delegee publishes having
the slightest shred of congruence with what they've submitted.. why not
submit an RFC?

2) Why doesn't the registry allow CNAMEd domains above the zone cut in
lieu of nameservers? Wouldn't that more properly honor the RFCs as cast?

Thanks for bringing this up, as I thought it was too silly to mention. But
seeing the cast of actors I thought I'd toss my hat in the ring.

--

Fred Morris, internet plumber