[dns-operations] DNS ANY record queries - Reflection Attacks

serhat aslan serhataslan22 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 08:13:22 UTC 2012

My methodology is simple, analyze and ban :)

First Part
 + Baseline = Identifying the anomalies
     * Using latency monitor .
        -> smokeping, In-house scripts instead of dig I prefer using Net::DNS for the customizable outout, etc... .
     * Ratio of dns-query/dns-response (in/out  mbps)
        -> roughly in/out traffic in my cases are 1/4
     * Ascii/RRD like graphs :), same as the above case, but just looking the behavior of the traffic picture.

 + Random auditing,  packet sampling in a limited time frame. It is best suited for if you have got a lot of dns-servers and want to identify if there is an amplification attack present or not.
       -> tcpdump + grep/sed/awk + "wc -l" or dnstop :) ,etc..
Last Part
    +Banning traffic :   Signature of the packet (dns-type + dns query) then importing  them to  firewall

Serhat Aslan