[dns-operations] Pinging the root name servers to check my connectivity?

Phil Regnauld regnauld at nsrc.org
Mon Sep 10 20:56:21 UTC 2012

Doug Barton (dougb) writes:
> >> more importantly, as112 announcements are variably scoped. pinging such
> >> an address does not tell you how healthy you are. you might be reaching
> >> something on-lan, on-campus, same-provider, other-provider. if the
> >> purpose is to check your connectivity then you should ping something
> >> whose network location you know is distant enough to matter.
> >
> > 	How is that different from ping the increasingly ubiquitious L and F-root ?
> > 	(both seem like a bad idea either way)
>
> I think that was what Paul was saying. :)

	Yeah, and it was obvious to me, it just seemed like Paul was making a
	special case out of as112 vs. any anycasted service.

> The previously mentioned suggestion "ping something you own" seems the
> right way to go to me.

	Or, ping something you're explicitly allowed to - that encompasses
	"Ping something you own", which doesn't cover the explicit exchange
	of favors between two parties already trading services (say, secondary
	DNS hosting), but is still a very valid way of doing things.

	P.