[dns-operations] Pinging the root name servers to check my connectivity?

Peter Koch pk at DENIC.DE
Mon Sep 10 17:40:46 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 01:09:29PM -0400, Joe Abley wrote:

> > RFC 6304 does not "mandate" that AS112 name servers respond to ICMP
> > Echo requests.
>
> Sure. No RFC mandates that the root servers or Facebook respond to ping, either.

no idea about facebook but I'd say that AS112 is even more loosely coordinated
than the root servers. I.e., without prior warning you might get into the
service area of an icmp averse instance.  But then again, you might also
be struck by a lightning ...

-Peter