[dns-operations] Pinging the root name servers to check my connectivity?

Peter Koch pk at DENIC.DE
Mon Sep 10 17:07:32 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 12:56:08PM -0400, Joe Abley wrote:

> The AS112 servers don't have such good technical properties, but they have the advantage that they are deployed with an expectation that junk will arrive. Perhaps PRISONER.IANA.ORG is a reasonable thing to ping.

RFC 6304 does not "mandate" that AS112 name servers respond to ICMP
Echo requests. If "ping" is meant to be at DNS level, then maybe,
although the expectation might also be that thanks to RFC 6303
the reason for (and volume of) AS112 traffic would vanish.

-Peter