[dns-operations] "best practices" for restaring internal DNS servers

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sun Sep 9 21:38:20 UTC 2012

In message <BDDCE4FA-CEE9-466C-AB5C-9E3201BEFFB6 at nic.br>, Rubens Kuhl writes:

> > I'm not sure if I phrased my question correctly. It's not about
> > redundancy, but about keeping the queries to root/g(TLD) name servers
> > to a minimum.

Running without a cache at all makes a difference but starting a
caching nameserver has no real impact on the root servers or tld
servers.

> > In your example, if 127.0.0.1 was the resolver that just came up again
> > after a restart, it wouldn't return a failure for a query that it has
> > not yet cached. Or perhaps I just didn't understand your answer.
>
> If your recursive DNS server runs Unbound, you can use
>
> unbound-control dump-cache > <filename>
>
> prior to restarting
> and then
>
> unbound-control load-cache < <filename>
>
> I don't recall such an option being available with BIND 9, and it's
> probably a feature to suggest to BIND 10.

Unless you can show a significant benefit to the clients then it is
not worth the effort.  It doesn't take long for most of a cache to
timeout on disk.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC