[dns-operations] Pinging the root name servers to check my connectivity?

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Sep 5 09:13:15 UTC 2012

Configuring a small network, I had the problem to test if the Internet
connectivity is working [side note: so I can use the result in the
test in the "parents" directive of Nagios/Icinga, to avoid alarms for
every target when the outside link is simply down]. The problem is to
find suitable targets for testing "the Internet".

Some persons suggested me to use "facebook.com" (if it is down, the
Internet is useless, anyway), some suggested 8.8.8.8 (always up and
fast) and some suggested to ping the root name servers.

They have good technical properties: always up, reply to ICMP echo,
reliable.

But I wonder what would happen if every small network with an OpenWRT
router and Nagios starts pinging them every minute. Is it a reasonable
use? Do the root name servers operators have an opinion about that? Is
there a better alternative?

[You have probably seen this project, which is partially related:
<https://labs.ripe.net/Members/dfk/ripe-atlas-anchors>. A case where
many small boxes testing an unwilling service created problems:
<http://slashdot.org/story/06/04/07/130209/d-link-firmware-abuses-open-ntp-servers>.]