[dns-operations] OpenHardware FPGA-based HSM SCA6000 with OpenSSL?

Luis Diego Espinoza S. lespinoz at nic.cr
Tue Oct 16 14:49:53 UTC 2012

My comments on this,

HSM could be helpful for re-signing process (if you want to do it on hardware cryptography), if it's has a cryptographic accelerator (a different chip).
The concept of sign/s is relevant in this scenario, then a 10 sign/s of a Smart Card versus the 7500 sign/s from the $6k PCI accelerator in the link of Richard Lamb could be relevant for a big zone.

In our case, a device that can sign 1 per second is enough for our 15k domains and reloading time slot of 1 hour (the process takes 15 minutes).
Then, the size of the zone and frequency expected for resigning process are important parameters for the design of the HSM.

Buy an HSM of 25k sign/s only to store keys, no makes sense.

But, it's true, that keeping keys on HSM y signing on software, the general purpose processors like Intel Xeon or AMD is enough.

Luis