[dns-operations] HSM - snake oil or... something that is not snake oil (was Anyone still using a Sun/Oracle SCA6000 with OpenSSL?)

Luis Diego Espinoza S. lespinoz at nic.cr
Tue Oct 16 14:36:26 UTC 2012

Hi Shane, I agree with the levels of HSM according with the level on the DNS tree.
But the chain breaks at it's weakest link.
DNSSEC is a chain, and a TLD manager probably don't want to be the weakest link.
Strength does not involve expensive technology, but rather involves doing things right.

If is possible to provide some model of low cost HSM to all levels of the chain, why not to implemented to provide strength to the chain.
A cheap smart card (FIPS aware) could be enough to many lower levels of the DNS tree, the key to deploy it massively could be simplified and automate procedures.
If is possible to fit all the key generation, storage and signing process within a usb device, could be an interesting solution.

Luis,