[dns-operations] new reflection attack

Simon Munton Simon.Munton at CommunityDNS.net
Thu Oct 11 09:31:20 UTC 2012

 From 2am (UTC) this morning we've been getting a reflection attack
hitting mostly our node in LU, and a little on the one in RIPE.

Its very easy to spot, its an ANY query for "." (ROOT), and has EDNS0
packet size declared is 9000

Currently its below background noise, but be interested to know if
others are seeing it.

http://stats.cdns.net/public/0.0.0.1/001E68-37CBC9.html

They are hitting pretty much all the IPs we use for hosting ccTLDs, so
we wondered if they were simply going round & round the IPs in the ROOT
zone.