[dns-operations] which software is easier to setup a geo-based dns?

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Sun Oct 7 16:35:15 UTC 2012

On Oct 7, 2012, at 4:32 PM, pangj wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> From what I know there are BIND, Powerdns, NSD, Tinydns (and maybe more)
> as DNS softwares.
> For those what's the best suitable for setup a geo-based DNS server?

Well, we of PowerDNS recommend PowerDNS, of course. But to unbias the situation a bit, I know of two large scale projects doing geographical load balancing using open source software.

Kernel.org uses a patch for BIND, and it appears to work really well for them.

The Wikipedia uses PowerDNS using the 'geo' backend that they helped develop half a decade ago. Their uptime also appears to be pretty good.

	Bert