[dns-operations] Apple and bogusapple.com

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Tue Oct 2 12:14:45 UTC 2012

On Oct 02, 2012, at 05:29 , Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:

> A big fail, I'm afraid. Apple's software tried to contact
> bogusapple.com (presumably to have a "known to failed" test) but
> someone registered the domain yesterday :
>
> https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4380270?tstart=0

Saw that yesterday, since little snitch said iTunes wanted to go to bogusapple.com which seemed a bit, shall we say, unusual.

How could Apple hard-code something like that?  Even assuming they thought it was a good idea, how do you not register the domain to ensure someone doesn't do it for you?

Also, insert joke / complaint about wildcards @ the roots or GTLDs....

--
TTFN,
patrick