[dns-operations] using different DNS providers together

Steven Carr sjcarr at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 14:27:36 UTC 2012

You're confusing the zone registration with the zone resource records.

When you register a zone yes you specify the name servers which are
hosting that zone and then the glue in TLD is added accordingly.

When you host the zone contents with multiple different providers you
will have to keep it in sync manually, not many support being a
secondary name server to another provider. Very few also allow you to
change the NS records for the zone you are hosting with them, so
whilst the copy of the zone hosted on MyBigISP.com will have their 2-3
nameservers listed in the resource records, the copy of the zone
hosted on MyLittleCDN.net will have their own 2-3 nameservers listed,
and neither hosting provider will list each other. The TLD though will
have both the nameservers for both providers added as glue. So
depending on which hosting provider you query the nameservers from the
other hosting provider will be "stealth" as they are not listed as NS
records.

Steve