[dns-operations] Upgrade to 9.9.1-p3 and zone transfer problem

Cathy Almond cathya at isc.org
Mon Nov 12 08:02:27 UTC 2012

On 09/11/12 08:44, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 02:29:38PM +0000,
>  Ayca Taskin (Garanti Teknoloji) <AycaTa at garanti.com.tr> wrote
>  a message of 181 lines which said:
>
>> is it possible any problem between primary and secondarys like zone
>> transfer etc.?
>
> As Nicolas and Keith said, it is very unlikely. That's the power of
> standards: once something is standardized (for zone transfer, it is
> RFC 5936 <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5936.txt>), it works even
> between different vendors (so it should work between different
> versions from the same vendor). That's why standard protocols are
> important in the Internet.

And it's also not unusual to choose to run different combinations of
versions of software/appliance from one or more vendors either - this
provides another level of resiliency to problems that might arise that
are specific only to some versions or products.

But I would echo what was mentioned earlier - 9.6.1 is a very old
version of BIND, and upgrading to the latest version of 9.6 (currently
9.6-ESV-R8) could be in your best interests.