[dns-operations] a question about the nameservers

Olafur Gudmundsson ogud at ogud.com
Tue Nov 6 18:32:30 UTC 2012

On 06/11/2012 02:30, zhanglikun wrote:
> <<RFC 2181 section 5.4.1 Ranking data>> says the child side is more
> trustworthy
>

>     The accuracy of data available is assumed from its source.
>     Trustworthiness shall be, in order from most to least:
>
>       + Data from a primary zone file, other than glue data,
>       + Data from a zone transfer, other than glue,
>       + The authoritative data included in the answer section of an
>         authoritative reply.
>       + Data from the authority section of an authoritative answer,
>
> Likun
Yes this is true but reality is that most resolver are "lazy" i.e. they
expect/hope that child's NS will arrive in
an answer from the child. This does not work at all if child name
servers are using "minimal-answers".
What I have been promoting is that Resolvers explicitly ask a Child
server for the NS set and store that,
number of resolver implementers resist that because of the one extra
query this would cause each time a
new domain is discovered.

     Olafur