[dns-operations] using different DNS providers together

Steven Carr sjcarr at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 09:08:58 UTC 2012

On 6 November 2012 08:34, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:
> Why "by hand"? NOTIFY + IXFR is implemented in every name server
> software, and is standard (.fr has several DNS providers, too, and we
> certainly do not keep the data consistent by hand).

The majority of the providers listed do not support being a DNS
"secondary" using A/IXFR.
They all expect you to use their own custom DNS management tools for
managing the domain and expect that you only have it hosted with them,
I'm not even sure some of the providers would allow you to create
additional NS records so yes there could be problems in that the glue
would not match the NS returned by one of the providers, so it would
appear that some of the NS are stealth.

Steve