[dns-operations] Defining the "be like a root" problem

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Fri May 18 04:26:26 UTC 2012

On 5/17/2012 8:36 PM, paul vixie wrote:
> On 5/17/2012 9:58 PM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>> From looking at the thread, I'm not convinced that you are correct.
>> The common definition of being a slave zone is that you are just as
>> authoritative as the primary.

Given that the root ops are not responsible for the content of the zone,
but are merely acting as slaves themselves, I would say that in this
context you're approximately correct.

>> To me, that means "act like a root server".

Now you've added some very loaded terminology without clear meaning. I
can only say that for my part "act like a root server" is not anything
I've ever suggested. Paul V's description in his first paragraph below
fits neatly with my concept of what we're advocating.

Doug

--
    If you're never wrong, you're not trying hard enough