[dns-operations] The (very) uneven distribution of DNS root servers on the Internet

paul vixie paul at redbarn.org
Fri May 18 02:47:57 UTC 2012

On 5/16/2012 10:04 AM, Simon Munton wrote:
> I agree - I also think a formal documented infrastructure of first &
> second level ROOT slaves could be useful to spread the load - similar
> to NTP?

i hope we won't go that far. there's good reason why HOSTS.TXT is dead.

but doing this for just the root zone, inside of otherwise
recursive-only servers, has a high perceived benefit and low perceived
cost, for most recursive server operators.

google dns and opendns both do it; the people involved tell me that this
saves on total transaction time for dns lookups, and 'feels more
resilient' than sending queries to root name servers.

especially given that most root server responses are negative, in ways
that aren't cacheable today.

--
"I suspect I'm not known as a font of optimism." (VJS, 2012)