[dns-operations] The (very) uneven distribution of DNS root servers on the Internet

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue May 15 23:56:55 UTC 2012

Stephane,

On May 14, 2012, at 11:14 PM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>> BTW "fair and equitable" is one of those unfortunate phrases that
>> gets Internet governance types very excited, not always in a good
>> way: eg "fair and equitable" distribution of IP addresses.
>
> We disagree here. Asking for fairness and equity (for IP addresses or
> root name servers) seem reasonable to me.

Asking for 'fairness and equity' is indeed reasonable. The problem is defining (and getting consensus on) what 'fair and equitable' actually means, particularly in an IGF/ITU/ICANN context...

In the context of this blog posting, I personally think having folks (ISPs in particular) pre-fetch/mirror the root zone in their caches is the right answer to pretty much any useful definition of "fair and equitable" related to serving the root zone :-).

Regards,
-drc