[dns-operations] Many dns queries to a.root-servers.net

Sven-Haegar Koch haegar at sdinet.de
Thu Mar 1 18:32:04 UTC 2012

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012, Dario Aguilar wrote:

> Hi, I'm seeing quite a lot of queries for "a.root-servers.net IN A" in the
> logs of my caching servers. They seem to be coming from home normal DSL
> customers (IPs who would be expected to be using the name servers) with
> each sending one query every 2 seconds.
> They all together represents more than de 10% of the total queries. I am
> guessing it is probably some sort of spyware/malware/virus/router/O.S.
> version but I was wondering if anyone knows offhand?

My TP-Link WR1043ND router (with original firmware) for whatever
reason requests a.root-servers.net every 30 seconds from the configured
nameserver.

(But not every 2 seconds)

Perhaps other models/firmware versions do the same but way faster, or
faster when configured for DHCP/PPPOE instead of static config?

c'ya
sven-haegar

--
Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead.
- Ben F.