[dns-operations] question for DNS being attacked

Michael Hoskins (michoski) michoski at cisco.com
Thu Jun 28 04:04:47 UTC 2012

if the spoofed addrs are RFC1918 then you can easily block it with
iptables or further upstream since it's not valid traffic.  most likely,
ISPs already block such sources today.

if the srcs are legitimate addresses that have simply been forged, then
you can't entirely block them without risking keeping potentially real
queries out of your server as well.

regardless of whether the addresses are spoofed or not, rate-limiting
would seem to make sense if the damage is coming from non-RFC1918
addresses.

in that case, RRL might work...or even firewall based rate limiting like
iptables or dummynet.

http://codingfreak.blogspot.com/2010/01/iptables-rate-limit-incoming.html

DDoS in general is the worst type of attack, IMHO.  good luck.