[dns-operations] thoughts on DNSSEC

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Wed Jul 18 14:17:04 UTC 2012

Obviously, e-mail authentication is not appropriate, as is any in-band
authentication as well.

Proper DNSSEC implementations should use end-to-end electronic signatures.

For example, while implementing DNSSEC back in 2007, we have made it
mandatory in the BG registry to use qualified electronic signatures in
order to manipulate DNSSEC. About the only operation you can do without
it is "turn DNSSEC off" and for this to work you need other than e-mail
authentication.

As for the lack of mass DNSSEC participation -- the culprit is the "if
it ain't broken don't fix it" translation of "put something in there and
forget" attitude of the typical DNS administrator. Turning on DNSSEC in
as many resolvers as possible (best, on any new personal device) is the
most effective tool to fight laziness.

Daniel