[dns-operations] Minimalistic DNS server for SOA and AXFR

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Tue Jul 17 13:07:33 UTC 2012

Thanks to all who responded, both publicly and privately.

I had forgotten to mention that the clients will be under my control,
and I don't plan on using TSIG, so I'm not going to bother implementing it.

I'm also not going to bother with the NOTIMP responses, and just return
REFUSED for queries I don't support.

About responding to SOA queries over TCP: BIND doesn't do that (it uses
UDP to query for the SOA record) and neither does NSD (it always asks
for AXFR/IXFR, and looks at the SOA record in there, abandoning the
connection if it doesn't need the XFR). So I can get away with
implementing just AXFR over TCP, and nothing else (including returning
AXFR in response to IXFR).

Regards,

Anand