[dns-operations] How to transfer DS records to parent zone?

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Tue Jul 17 01:45:49 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-07-16 at 16:00 -0400, WBrown at e1b.org wrote:

> Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> wrote on 07/16/2012 09:35:09 AM:
>
> > That doesnt surprise me, for many reasons I have advised against
> > using NS, have done for almost 10 years, mostly because of their
> > fraudulent, hostile, and immoral business practices.
>
> I started using them back when there weren't that many registrars and most

likewise, my first private domain, was late 90's

> of them had caused me issues like reverting name servers back to theirs
> instead of what they should be or other major F-ups.  I can say that NS
> never did screwed anything up that they do support.  Slow to support

Definitely not likewise,   in around 2003, when other registrars started
to become more general, and extremely much cheaper than  network
solutions, my original domain was about 3 months from expiry, I made
sure all of my details were up to date, then in a few weeks before
expiry I went to move to another registrar, this kept failing, the
reason, was that NS "Acceptance" of my up to date details 3 months
prior, did not record, be it a form screw-up, or a DB failure causing a
backup restoration, I'm not to know why, and  they certainly did not,
and could not be bothered looking into why, therefore any attempts to
get them to fix it, including days of emails, and several lengthy
international phone calls, ended up with one same result every time,
them demanding I renew with them before they fixed it.

This was not a once of response, hence my many support tickets, emails,
and phone calls, in the end I refused to bow down to their criminal
extortion and immoral practices and just let that domain go and
commenced this one with my 75% cheaper registrar, who,  in the very few
times I've ever had to contact them (general inquiries - never a fault),
have always bent over backwards to help you, and, replies usually within
an hour, not days like they used to be.

> DNSSEC, yes.  Their support staff not even knowing what DS records are,
> yes.  I had a cubicle wallmate laughing at my one conversation with a
> clueless NS "support" tech.
>
> Me:  "Do you know what DNSSEC is?"
>
> Her:  "I'm on the DNS team, I can help you."
>
> Clearly not!  This dragged on for 20 minutes and she wouldn't even
> escalate to someone with a clue.

Hehe, I understand your pain.