[dns-operations] How to transfer DS records to parent zone?

Rubens Kuhl rubensk at nic.br
Sun Jul 15 00:02:05 UTC 2012

Michele,

If you ask customers if they need "DS record", they will say they don't. If you ask customers if they want their domains to be falsified, they will also say they don't. Customers pay the ecosystem (ICANN, registries, registrars, hosting companies) for a service, and if you describe to them what can happen with DNS and what can be prevented with DNSSEC, I'm pretty sure they will tell you that they thought the DNS system was much more secure than you described, and find DNSSEC a closer match to what they hoped the service already was.

As an industry, we have the opportunity of giving our customers the blue pill and keeping them happy, or letting someone else give them the red pill and show them what can really happen.

I'm all in favor of basing decisions on demand, but we need to ask questions customers understand.

Rubens
… disclaimer: working for an organization that allowed registrants to upload DS records for some years