[dns-operations] I know I'm a curmudgeon but

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Mon Jul 9 17:42:27 UTC 2012

The part you pasted in is encoded as UTF-16, but the message body
content type was set to ISO-8859-1:

Mixed encodings in the same body isn't portable.  I had to use:

cat msg | iconv -f utf-16

to see the UTF-16 part (which then of course scrambled the rest of the
message).

On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 12:16:28PM -0400, Edward Lewis wrote:
> Weird...first private reply to me, someone says they can't see the
> message.  What I did was a cut and past from terminal in MacOS into
> the Eudora I've been using since just before it was discontinued.
>
> Below, what I see makes it look like there's more than one layer of
> IDN messing with my mind.
>
> At 11:39 -0400 7/9/12, Edward Lewis wrote:
> >Running dig on a newly built Linux machine I see the below output
> >(and man page explaining it).
> >
> >To me this just seems wrong.  Mucking with the bare metal here is
> >not desirable.  The zone *is* x n - - x k c 2 a l 3 h y e 2 a . ,
> >it is not the native script version (which is unprintable on the
> >machine I'm on).
> >
> >Comments?  Should DiG's output be unchanged or is this "good?"
> >Should the OS vendors be asked to stop this?
> >
> >$   d i g   x n - - x k c 2 a l 3 h y e 2 a .   n s
> >;   < < > >   D i G  9 . 7 . 3 - P 3 - R e d H a t - 9 . 7 . 3 - 2
> >. e l 6 _ 1 . P 3 . 3  < < > > x n - - x k c 2 a l 3 h y e 2 a .
> >n s ; ;   g l o b a l   o p t i o n s :   + c m d ; ;   G o t a n
> >s w e r : ; ;   - > > H E A D E R < < -   o p c o d e :  Q U E R Y
> >,   s t a t u s :   N O E R R O R ,  i d :   2 0 8 2 3 ; ;   f l a
> >g s : q r   r d   r a ;  Q U E R Y :   1 ,   A N S W E R :   9 ,
> >A U T H O R I T Y :   0 ,  A D D I T I O N A L :   0
> >; ;   Q U E S T I O N   S E C T I O N : ;
¾
» . 	 	 I N
> >N S
> >; ;   A N S W E R   S E C T I O N :
¾
» . 	 8 6 4 0 0 	 I
> >N 	 N S 	 n s - d . n i c . l k .
¾
» . 	 8 6 4 0 0 	 I N
> >	 N S 	 n s - l . n i c . l k .
¾
» . 	 8 6 4 0 0 	 I N N
> >S 	 n s - t . n i c . l k .
¾
» . 	 8 6 4 0 0 	 I N 	 N S
> >	 l k . c o m m u n i t y d n s . n e t .
¾
» . 	 8 6 4 0
> >0 	 I N 	 N S  	 n i c . l k - a n y c a s t . p c h . n e t .

¾
» . 	 8 6 4 0 0 	 I N N S 	 n s 1 . a c . l k .

¾
» . 8 6 4 0 0 	 I N 	 N S 	 n s 3 . a c . l k .

¾
» . 	 8 6 4 0 0 	 I N N S 	 n s - b . n i c . l k .

¾
» . 	 8 6 4 0 0 	 I N 	 N S 	 n s - c . n i c . l k .