[dns-operations] Queries for isc.org/ANY/IN

Tue Jan 17 08:32:26 UTC 2012

Hi all!

I can confirm this. We see peaks of around 2000q/s on our Anycast DNS
servers (2nd level authoritive name servers). Peaks are usually 2-3
minutes, sometimes also 2-3 hours. During a peak all the requests come
from the same (spoofed) source IP.

The queries are ANY/IN for arbitrary (existing) domains with "recursion
desired" flag set. Usually we have the peaks in Singapore and Los
Angeles, whereas sometimes Singapore swaps to our Frankfurt node. Thus,
I think the attacker's bots are mainly located in Asia.

regards
Klaus