[dns-operations] Scheduling of workshops

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Fri Jan 13 15:41:53 UTC 2012

I don't mean to pick on SATIN, but seeing that the DNS-OARC meeting
is potentially scheduled to be the day before SATIN with the IETF the
next week got me to wondering...

It's a good thing to "attach" the DNS-OARC workshops to other events,
for reasons including the workshops are generally just a day or maybe
two and this is a global organization.  Traveling just for a one day
event is an inconvenience.

But should we try to limit the "other events" to which DNS-OARC
workshops are attached.  (By attached I mean scheduled a day
immediately before or after and nearby.)  I can see attaching to
ICANN meetings, IETF meetings, APRICOT, and maybe even NANOG (which
is both a North American and global meeting).  Perhaps there are
other candidates.  I'm just describing a strawman.

I wasn't inclined to attend SATIN, and if DNS-OARC is before it, I
would pass the workshop up.  Not that this is a great sacrifice (I
haven't been to DNS-OARC workshops the last two years), I'm just
laying out a data point.  Had DNS-OARC been the day before IETF I
would have considered it.  Especially if it were in Paris too - but I
don't mean to take away from SATIN's host's offer to host in London.

The issue is just the number of days away from home and general
costs/inconvenience of travel.

To sum up - because I know talking about meeting arrangements can be
touchy - I'm not objecting to having the workshop before SATIN, nor
having standalone workshops in the future, but wondering if DNS-OARC
wants to make a policy that at least once a year the workshops meets
attached to a "major" event or perhaps, at least once every other
time or three times.  I don't want to crimp flexibility in scheduling
and the chance to meet new people in person, just want to reduce the
travel load.

Edward Lewis
NeuStar                    You can leave a voice message at +1-571-434-5468

Vote for the word of the day:
"Papa"razzi - father that constantly takes photos of the baby
Corpureaucracy - The institution of corporate "red tape"