[dns-operations] Stopping DNS Changer name servers on March 8th?

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Thu Feb 16 13:29:44 UTC 2012

* Stephane Bortzmeyer:

> A french paper claimed that the FBI plans to shut down the former DNS
> changer name servers (now "hijacked" and hosted at, I believe, ISC) on
> March 8th:
>
> http://www.lemondeinformatique.fr/actualites/lmi/lire-le-fbi-va-fermer-des-serveurs-dns-corrompus-47800.html
>
> I do not find this information on the official Web site:
>
> http://www.dcwg.org/
>
> Anyone has more info?

I don't know if this court order is genuine:

<http://images.spaceref.com/news/2011/ProtectiveOrder.pdf>

ISC is ordered to operate the name servers only until March 8, 2012.
By the doctrine of expressio unius, this means that they have to stop
operating them after that date.  Presumably, the court can extend the
deadline, based on the feedback ISC provided in January.

The dates match up with the one in the (supposedly genuine) RIPE
order:

<http://www.ripe.net/lir-services/member-support/police-order-8-november-2011>