[dns-operations] DNAME with LHS matching zone apex

Ben Scott mailvortex at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 22:32:30 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 4:41 PM, Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com> wrote:
>>       www.google.com.     SOA     dc1.example.com. ...
>>       www.google.com.     DNAME   nosslsearch.google.com.
>
> If that works for him, then Windows Server 2008 isn't doing DNAME.

  I suspect this is an accident of Microsoft's implementation, and not
intended behavior, although I don't really know.

> You're quite right.  And it is explicit in the DNAME substitution
> algorithm, but see
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsext-rfc2672bis-dname-25 to
> see if it's clearer.

  Ah, thanks.  That does seem to trounce on this pretty soundly.  In
particular, "a DNAME RR redirects DNS names subordinate to its owner
name; the owner name of a DNAME is not redirected itself. " (section
2.3).

  Thanks again, and to Mr. David Conrad, for the speedy responses.

-- Ben