[dns-operations] DNS ANY requests from Amazon?

Patrick, Robert (CONTR) Robert.Patrick at hq.doe.gov
Mon Dec 17 21:33:27 UTC 2012

I don't disagree that limiting responses is a smarter tact than limiting requests, with respect to making an informed decision prior to discarding traffic.  Having zone and query-type plus response data to evaluate the client hash is more information than looking only at source and destination IP address, as may be implemented at a firewall or within the O/S.  Some of these data elements could also be tracked by an application-aware firewall.

For authoritative DNS servers, there's an approach to rate-limiting per-client request-count-over-time (or response-count-over-time) above the current legitimate client volume and below infinite that is useful to reduce the volume of large amplification attacks.  The specific value can be argued as site -specific, but odds are good there's a number that remains somewhat high which should prove "good enough" as a default for the much of the installed base.

Allow administrators the freedom to set the limit to any value and/or disable the feature, but shipping the product with a "smart" default may be viewed as a pragmatic step forward in noise reduction.

Continuing to deploy into the wild without any rate-limiting isn't the best approach long term.

Administrators need to be armed with options to implement countermeasures.  The more accurate the countermeasure, the better.