[dns-operations] what nameserver software have you been using?

Jan-Piet Mens jpmens.dns at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 15:23:47 UTC 2012

> For mime BIND is always my choice, running BIND 9.7 on debian 6 OS.

Time to upgrade then: 9.7 is EOL since a few days ... ;-) [1]

> I am just curious what nameservers software have you been using?

I think you'll find people here use all sorts of nameserver brands. ISC
BIND is one of them, but e.g. NLnetLabs NSD and Unbound are both very
popular authoritative and recursive servers respectively, as are
PowerDNS Authoritative and Recursor versions. There's plenty of stuff to
go around.

Oh, and not to forget: djbdns is still in use in some places ...

        -JP

[1] http://www.isc.org/software/bind/versions