[dns-operations] DNSSEC validation failures for reverse delegations?

Arth Paulite arth at apnic.net
Mon Dec 10 17:40:31 UTC 2012

Hi All,

Here's the brief report of DNSSEC outage in APNIC over the weekend. We
apologize if this caused any inconvenience.

Our active DNSSEC signer lost connectivity after a switch failure on 7
December 19:00 UTC+10. While the primary DNSSEC signer is offline,
incoming updates on APNIC reverse zones will only reflect on our internal
server. To avoid delay in publishing DNS updates on authoritative DNS
servers, we decided to configure our distribution server to use our
standby DNSSEC signer. While both signer has the same key pool from
previous sync, the monthly automated ZSK roll-over completely changed
their own copies of ZSKs to sign the zone. This will result in validation
failure if  resource records in the cache were still signed by the
previous keys.

Below are the zones affected by ZSKs changes.

101.in-addr.arpa
103.in-addr.arpa
106.in-addr.arpa
110.in-addr.arpa